This gamemode is my first and biggest project in Pawn. I started working on it in January 2010 and in two weeks created server called Convoy Trucking. To this day I continue working on it, and the community of players keeps growing.
Some of the features included in my gamemode:
- Fuel and gas station system – vehicles need to be fueled to run, and fuel decreases while driving
- Speedometer and speedtraps – player’s speed is calculated server-side and then displayed on the screen. Speedtraps are scattered around the map, if player exceeds speed limit, they get fined.
- Islands, ferry boat, and lifting bridge – There is a chain of islands created in most part by me. I made a ferry boat using moving objects that goes between islands. Players can board the ferry to get across the sea. Bridge is another way to get to the islands, it crosses path with ferry boat, and goes up everytime the ferry comes close to it.
- Missions/work – players can earn money by doing all kinds of missions, majority of which is trucking. Players can deliver goods in convoy or alone.
- Player accounts – players can register on server to save their stats. Data is saved in the MySQL database.
- House/vehicle ownership – players can purchase house, vehicles and other items. Vehicles can be insured to prevent them being destroyed.
- In-game contacts – players can keep in touch with their friends using a /cellphone menu. Pretty much like real cellphone, it allows players to add others to their contact list, send messages even if they are offline. Cellphone is good for a variety of other things, like calling assistance when vehicle is broken down, or quickly selling house/vehicles.
- Cruise Control – can be activated by player to keep constant vehicle speed
- Dynamic weather – each player can experience different weather conditions depending on their location on map
- Anti-cheat “Smokey the Bear” – automatically detects hacks used by players and bans cheaters. It detects most common cheats like speedhack, teleporting, flying cars, weapons (guns are not allowed on server), and other.
This is quite big project, the gamemode alone counts 35k lines. The community consists of 50k accounts created within the last 180 days, 3k of which are registered on forum. Our staff consists of 17 members, 4 of which are administrators. They all do a great job at ensuring that game is fair for everyone and nobody is cheating.
The main theme of the gamemode are trucking missions, but it has a variety of side missions too (airplanes, helicopters, towing, stealing cars, etc). Players gain money by doing all kinds of missions, and can spend that money on house, vehicles, and a variety of items and services, like assistance, car insurance, bike, pilot license, drinks and many more.
The gamemode gives players plenty of freedom to do anything and one of its goals it to provide close-to-real-world environment, and so vehicles need to be fueled, they can break down if damaged too badly, but players can fix vehicles themselves, or call assistance. There is a Police class, that players can join if they pass the Police Test and get their Police Badge. The Police Officers can fine players, fines are accumulated by speeding past speedtraps, or driving on wrong side of the road. Police can also inspect trucks if they are overloaded, arrest wanted players, etc. Players can become wanted automaticallt if they refuse to pull over when asked by Police, can’t afford to pay fine, or drive under influence of alcohol. Wanted level can also be gained by stealing cars, which is one of the jobs available in the gamemode.